Website Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Generate, prepare, and organize documentation and forms requisite to the corporate practice area, such as agreements, amendments, stock certificates and ledgers, FEIN applications, articles of incorporation, bylaws, certificates of good standing, annual reports, state and federal corporate forms or documents, etc.
- Prepare for, assist, and perform duties/tasks associated with corporate closings and the compilation of closing book(s).
- Maintain corporate minute books and process mail received at the Firm on behalf of clients including, but not limited to, annual reports, tax bulletins, service of process, and statutory representation invoices.
- Prepare and file probate documents, including applications for letters testamentary, inventories, and accountings. Communicate with the Clerk of Superior Court/Probate Court when questions arise.
- Prepare initial drafts of client correspondence and memos.
- Prepare initial drafts of estate planning documents, including wills, powers of attorney, and health care powers of attorney.
- Prepare binders of executed estate planning documents.
- As directed, transfer estate/decedent’s assets by contacting banks, brokerage houses, and other entities. Prepare receipts, releases, deeds, and other necessary documentation. Track progress and follow up with transfer work.
- Maintain docket of life insurance premiums payable from life insurance trusts. Coordinate payments of life insurance premiums that maintain insurance policies. Communicate with client when necessary.
- Research and investigate any requests, problems, or issues and resolve with appropriate parties.
- Perform file organization and maintenance.
- Maintain up-to-date time reports to ensure accurate client billing.
- Create, edit, and compile large, complex, heavily formatted documents and reports as well as prepare correspondence, memoranda, and other legal documents from draft or dictated text utilizing MS Word. Proofread all documents for accuracy and completeness. Compose correspondence when appropriate.
- Manage and maintain calendar (utilizing calendar software, if applicable) and assist in meeting deadlines. Schedule appointments and meetings, arrange for conference rooms, and communicate information to all respective parties.
- Answer the telephone, and screen and process incoming telephone calls. Record and transmit telephone messages. Set up conference calls. Provide information to callers when appropriate.
- Receive, sort, and distribute incoming mail. Process outgoing mail to assure timely delivery. File mail in client/case files, as necessary.
- Update attorney/legal personnel’s contacts in InterAction, Outlook, or document contact lists.
- Greet clients and visitors in a manner that promotes the professional image and best interests of the Firm. Maintain excellent public relations with clients.
- Open new client matters and request conflict of interest checks. Generate new files and maintain client, chron, and general files assuring that filing is kept current. Prepare files to be closed utilizing proper records storage procedures. Conduct periodic review of inactive files for possible storage of files.
- Maintain up-to-date listing of client/matter names and numbers for each attorney/legal personnel.
- Make travel arrangements, prepare itineraries, and compile documents for travel-related meetings.
- As directed, convert documents into .pdf format.
- Maintain knowledge of Firm operating procedures, departments, and support areas.
- Submit expense reports through Chrome River for each attorney/legal personnel.
- Prepare and keep current desk instructions with respect to each assigned attorney/legal personnel.
- If applicable, prepare and process client billing utilizing Firm billing software. Review/edit/prepare and proofread prebills and invoices; assure client billing is sent out accurately and timely.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
High school diploma or equivalent and five or more years progressive legal secretarial experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior experience in the Corporate/Trust & Estates practice areas of law and familiarity with corporate and trust and estates legal terminology desired.
To apply for this job please visit www.kattenlaw.com.