Website Robinson Bradshaw
Established, large Charlotte-based law firm is seeking a full-time Litigation Paralegal. Candidates must have a four-year degree and at least five years of litigation experience in a mid to large-sized firm. North Carolina paralegal certification obtained or in progress. Must provide professional references attesting to proficiency and experience in the Job Functions listed below.
This position requires strong interpersonal, organization, time management, and communication skills paired with a dedicated client service mentality. This position is the face of the firm in many situations, and the individual must create and maintain a positive image through interactions with clients, attorneys, staff, vendors, court personnel and the local bar.
This law firm recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship status, disability, military status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, genetic information, age or other protected status. All terms and conditions of employment such as compensation, benefits, work assignment, availability of facilities and privileges of employment are administered on the same basis of equality.
Overall Objective of the Position:
- Team player with subordinates, peers and supervisors
- Ability to coordinate and work together as a paralegal team, as well as back each other up
- Able to handle stress and high pressure situations
- Able to prioritize tasks and perform under tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication and listening skills
- Possess sufficient emotional IQ to work effectively with clients as well as the legal team
- Possess sufficient confidence to notify attorneys if they are missing something important and/or to make recommendations even when not specifically asked
- Customer Service attitude towards all staff including attorneys, litigation support and assistants when asked to help out with a case or perform a specific task
- Extreme attention to detail is required; organizational skills
- Need awareness and understanding of litigation process
- Ability to strategize, plan and think outside the box
- Ownership of work product
Job Functions at the request of a responsible attorney:
- Serve Summons and Complaint and prepare Affidavit of Service documenting service
- Bankruptcy checks on Defendants prior to filing Complaint
- Docket litigation deadlines for cases in CaseMap, Outlook calendars, and docketing software
- Communicate with judicial assistants, clerks, trial court assistants, and trial court coordinators regarding scheduling and other issues
- Enter information in CaseMap
Written Discovery Management
- Serve as liaison between lawyers and litigation support
- Document all incoming documents from clients as well as incoming and outgoing document productions
- Organize and run document production spreadsheets in CaseMap to document outgoing and incoming productions
- Monitor throughout the case the lawyer’s adherence to litigation hold best practices and the client’s adherence to the litigation hold and ensure sufficient documentation of all preservation efforts
- Prepare initial draft document hold
Send document hold letter and monitor responses
- Organize and run preservation spreadsheets in CaseMap to document preservation efforts
- Conduct document preservation interviews
- Document collection and preservation steps in CaseMap
- Prepare/generate privilege logs
- Prepare and serve third party subpoenas
- Prepare and organize deposition exhibits
- Handle deposition logistics including scheduling location and shipping documents
- Schedule and coordinate court reporters for depositions
- Serve as primary contact with court reporter
- Develop plans, cost estimates, budgets, procedures for specific cases
- Ensure court reporter has correct set-up information
- Handle payment of reporter bills including double-checking everything for accuracy
- Work with litigation support to get deposition transcripts in Textmap (when asked by attorney)
- Coordinate any errata sheet changes with the court reporter
- Provide documents to expert witness and maintain record of all documents sent to expert
- Prepare State and Federal court forms such as subpoenas, summonses, civil action cover sheets, affidavits of service, etc.
- Prepare simple/routine pleadings such as Notices of Hearing, Notices of Deposition, Motions for Extension of Time, Motions for Admission Pro Hac Vice, Affidavits, etc.
- Prepare shell documents of written discovery, discovery responses, and Answers
- Cite-check and quote-check briefs
- Table of Authorities & Table of Contents
- Prepare appendixes & addendums, assemble exhibits
Trial and Hearing Preparation
- Prepare trial subpoenas
- Coordinate scheduling of witnesses
- Trial and exhibit notebooks
- Demonstrative exhibits
- Liaison with Litigation Support on presentation of evidence including PowerPoint and Trial Director
- Witness preparation including fees, subpoenas and coordination of trial attendance
- Deposition designations
- Operate trial presentation software during trial
- Assist lawyer with determining whether to hire outside investigative help
- Conduct basic internet research on the following:
- Civil and criminal background checks
- Witness location
- Registered agent research (or other agent for service)
- Asset research
Post-Judgment Collection Work
- Know post-judgment collection rules
- Conduct asset searches
- Serve as primary point of contact for any vendors or investigative services
- Draft judgment executions, individual exemptions, and supplemental proceedings
- Draft bill of costs
- Draft Notice of Appeal
- Prepare records on appeal
- Format briefs and other submissions to comply with rules of appellate procedure
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations
- Prepare presentation handouts
- Create and edit Excel spreadsheets
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from an accredited college or university.
- Experience with litigation support software including Relativity, CaseMap, LiveNote, Concordance, IPRO, Trial Director and Adobe Full Version.
- Full understanding of litigation motion practice, discovery, trial and appellate procedures.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of Lexis-Nexis, Westlaw and internet search engines for research purposes. Knowledge of Pacer and ECF filing procedures.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with clients, shareholders, associates, paralegals and all other staff members.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications.
- Preferred: 6-8 years of litigation paralegal experience.
- Paralegal Certificate from an ABA accredited program.
- Excellent organizational skills. Excellent attention to detail. The use of good judgment and good interpersonal communication skills. Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills.
- Works harmoniously and effectively with others as part of a team. A self-starter who desires to show ownership and commitment to the job. Exercises confidentiality and discretion.
- Strong proofreading skills
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com